So, I started my collage technique with a mug, then pared down and used it for jewelry pieces, now I’m going back to a larger form again with some sculpture. The first one is this angel statue. It came about by accident (it was originally just supposed to be a female dress form), but I kind of love it.
I photographed it in the pottery studio, using a heat lamp as the light source, and I think the effect is really cool.
I’ve been sewing for a bit of time, but still have very basic skills. Tonight I updated those skills a little bit by taking a Sewing Basics class at The Sewing Studio, thanks to my cousin Kate! Now I know how to sew in a zipper and I have a cool new toiletries bag too!
Holiday presents, anyone?
Four broken needles later and I FINALLY finished the binding on my very first quilt. I still have A LOT to learn, but if you don’t look too closely, it’s very cute.
A nice summer quilt for a warm night…
So, years ago I pulled this chair from a dumpster down the block with the intention of painting it or redoing it some way. Serious PIG, it’s been sitting in my living room forever. Not particularly comfortable and not so pretty. Over the course of the last week or so, I’ve finally solved that…
First coat of paint
Now it’s actually comfortable to sit in and it matches some of the other furniture in my living room (namely my couch cushions).
Progress on my charm quilt. I’ve sewn the fabrics into 16 horizontal strips and although I’m excited about how it’s turning out and keep thinking “sweet!” when I look at it, I would say the process has certainly not been simple. I laid the strips out on the floor to see how they look and if they need rearranging, and I’m happy with the configuration. I’m also a little daunted by all the ironing (seams) and sewing that still lies ahead to finish my second quilt top.
Eventually I guess I’m going to have to figure out how to actually finish the quilts, but in the mean time, I’m having fun just doing it!
Continuing to take advantage of all of the materials and projects I have sitting in my apartment, I decided to start on a charm quilt. Charm squares are packs of 5×5 square pieces of fabric and I had bought some packs of beautiful fabrics several years ago. Occasionally, I would take them out of the bag where I’d stored them and look at them, thinking about what to do with them, but never did. So this week I finally went online and found a free pattern for a “Sweet & Simple Charm Quilt” at Bay Window Quilt Shop for a quilt using two charm packs plus some other very cool fabric I have.
The final pattern will look a little something like this, but of course the colors and fabrics will be the ones I’ve chosen (above). I can’t wait to see how it turns out!
From the same time as the quilt, I had two pincushion kits. And now they are cute little stacks of pillows/pincushions.
I’m thinking I’ll tie some ribbons around them, as a finishing touch.
Just this morning it was a pile of fabric strips. Now it’s on it’s way to actually being a quilt.
Top of first quilt completed!
Now I have to sew the backing. Then I have to figure out how to put it together. But, it actually looks like something!!
Tonight in the pottery studio we worked on something new — linocuts. Linocut block printing is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time and since Matt included some block prints in his most recent show, we had discussed doing it as a class activity. It was really fun and I think I might be addicted.
Linoblock with print on paper towel and paper
Linoblock without ink
Another linoblock in progress
I’m so excited about all the possibilities for using linocuts in my work. Besides making really cool prints on paper, they can be used in my ceramic work and when pressed into soft clay can make relief prints. I think a whole new world just opened up for me and I can’t wait to see where it takes me!
I’ve been MIA for way too long, though I’ve still tried to be creative and active (though maybe not chronicling it as well as I intended.) However, I’ve not completed any PIGs in a while. I’ve been trying to clean and straighten my apartment, and so I was inspired to finish up a project that I started more than a year ago — recovering the cushions for my couch/daybed. I had cut most of the fabric and actually finished covering one of them, but still had two cushions that remained unfinished. So, today I did it. I finally finished them. They look pretty good if I do say so myself…
Refinished Cushions Front
Refinished Cushions Back (I love the stripes)